Location : Santa Fe Springs, CA
Job Type : Direct
Reference Code : 013468
Required Years of Experience : 1
Required Education : BS
Job Industry : Healthcare - Health Services
Job Description :
As a Cytotechnologist at a Reference Laboratory, you will be responsible for analyzing tissue specimens for microscopic cellular abnormalities, such as bacterial and viral infections, cancer, meningitis, and other diseases. A Cytotechnologist will be a part of a collaborative team environment and will work with little supervision to analyze cells that come from skin, reproductive tract, digestive tract, and other areas that shed cells.
Essential Job Functions:
• Adhere to all Federal, State, HIPAA, CLIA, CAP, and Company policies and regulations within the Cytology Department.
• As dictated by the FDA 2010 Guidelines, CMS, State of California, and/or other regulatory agencies, may screen up to, but not exceed, 80 slides in a 24-hour period.
• Perform the initial screen of Non-GYN specimens, fine needle aspirations, and cell blocks.
• Submit slides with abnormal cell structures to Pathologist for further examination.
• Examine cell samples to detect abnormalities in the color, shape, or size of cellular components and patterns.
• Provide patient clinical data or microscopic findings to assist Pathologist in the preparation of pathology reports.
• Document specimens by verifying patients’ and specimens’ information.
• Maintain effective laboratory op
erations by adhering to standards of specimen collection, preparation, or laboratory safety.
• Perform pre-analytical procedures such as specimen preparation and reagent preparation, as necessary.
• Examine specimens, using microscopes, to evaluate specimen quality and to detect abnormal hormone conditions.
• Maintain Quality Assurance / Quality Control logs, proficiency testing, and registry/licensing.
• Adjust, maintain, or repair assigned laboratory instruments, such as microscopes.
• Verify instrument functionality by checking and calibrating specific laboratory instruments and document data; record on instrument logs any repairs, replacement, and maintenance of equipment.
• Assist with overseeing Laboratory Assistants with their respective duties.
• Be responsible for assisting in ordering and inventory.
• Participate in College of American Pathologists (CAP) Survey Reviews, Assessments, and Inspections, as necessary.
• Participate in and support all Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement endeavors for the laboratory, as necessary.
• In addition to typical work schedule, may be scheduled to work weekends, work split shifts, overtime, holidays, and attend mandatory company meetings, as necessary.
• Be required to perform other job duties, as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Have knowledge of human biology, including their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other.
• Have knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventative healthcare measures.
• Have experience with computer systems, including but not limited to, medical software, spreadsheet software, and word processing.
• Have knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
• Have knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of and grammar.
• Have knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
• Have knowledge of mathematics, including arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
• Possess the ability to perform administrative and clerical procedures and systems including word processing and file management.
• Be skilled with active listening and active learning by giving full attention to what others are saying.
• Be skilled with time management, coordination, and monitoring in order to assess individual performance and perform job duties.
• Possess a service orientation which is focused on providing outstanding patient care.
• Have the ability to engage in deductive and inductive reasoning in order to solve complex problems.
• Have the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas through spoken words and sentences.
• Have the ability to communicate effectively with others and speak clearly so others understand.
Required Qualifications :
Required Education and Experience:
• Have a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree from an accredited four-year college or university with an accreditation by either Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools or the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
• Have a valid California Cytotechnology License.
• Participate in continuing education as dictated by governmental agencies required for license validity.
Preferred Education and Experience:
• Have two (2) years’ experience in a Clinical Laboratory as a California Licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientist.
• Have three (3) years’ experience within a reference laboratory as a Phlebotomist, Specimen Processor, or Laboratory Assistant.
• Have an ASCP or other applicable certification.
• Have Basic Life Support (BLS) / Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) training.
• Have Bilingual/Multilingual skills.