Front & Back Office Medical Assistant
Front & Back Office Medical Assistant
The FO/BO Medical Assistant assists in the delivery of primary health care to patients in the medical office under the direct supervision of a provider, supervisor or clinic manager.
· Greet patient and escort him / her to exam / procedure room. Documents vital signs, patient's height / weight, reason for visit and pain level on each visit.
· Obtains urine specimen for testing on pregnant patients and patient(s) with complaints of lower abdominal pain.
· Prepare both the patient and equipment necessary for examinations.
· Notify your doctor in advance if your patient(s) arrive unhappy / agitated, or seem upset.
· Assists the provider during diagnostic procedures, as necessary.
· Ensures completeness of medical record by obtaining a missing lab reports, X-rays reports, consults MRI, CT Scans or Ultra-sound reports etc. prior to the patient’s appointment.
· Assist in answering a ringing phone by identifying the office, stating your name, and asking how may I help you and transfer the call to the appropriate person, handle the call or take a message.
· All patient messages must be on the Emr system from the appropriate personnel. Make sure to record the date and time the message was taken. Relay physician response messages to patient(s) following specific physician directions and documents the patient file.
· Review and track referral requests for completeness / accuracy and schedule any follow up appointments as indicated.
· Maintains clinical equipment and supplies according to regulatory standards.
· Sterilizes instruments and equipment observing aseptic techniques.
· Maintains logs to meet regulatory requirements i.e. Autoclave, Refrigerator, Annual scale calibration.
· Monitors expiration dates for all medications and disposes of expired medications appropriately.
· Monitors and maintains adequate stock of medications and supplies utilized in the back office and in all patient exam rooms.
· Call in and documents patient file on all authorized drug / medication refills to pharmacy.
· Maintains cleanliness of all patient exam rooms, including exam table, pillow cases and foot covers.
· Demonstrates knowledge of age specific care, including but not limited to, identifying the need for additional safety measures, physiological normal values / reading; and assessing skin integrity, behavior, motor skills and/or activities that place patients at risk as well as communicates effectively in a clear, concise, understandable manner.
· Practices appropriate infection control.
· Maintains patient records documentation accurately.
· Charges supplies accurately.
· Reports equipment malfunctions to supervisor immediately.
· Uses resources in a cost effective manner.
· The Front Office position will be responsible for providing administrative and secretarial support to leadership and department. He / she will perform duties including: answering phones, greeting customers, typing, filling, scheduling, financial record keeping, coordinating meetings and conferences, obtaining supplies, coordinating mailings and any other duty related to this position.
· Supports office objective for increasing financial and operational efficiency, improving quality of care and maintaining customer satisfaction.
· Demonstrates flexibility with work schedule and work assignments, including floating to other medical offices.
· Maintain CPR certification.
· Stocks and maintains all exam rooms with adequate supplies needed on a daily basis.
· Coordinates with supervisor for all on site audits / reviews.
· Must be able to set patients up for any of the treatments offered at the location.
· Provide support in rooming and vitalizing patients for various Prospect Outreach Programs as needed.
· Any other task that may be asked of you by the Supervisor, clinic operations Manager or Physician in the office.
Minimum Education: High school diploma. Formal training from a vocational school in lieu of the above.
Minimum Experience: Minimum two to three (2-3) years of back office experience in Internal Medicine or Family Practice Office, is preferred.
Req. Certification/Licensure: CPR Certification. MA Certification.