Medical Assistant (MA) or Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN)
Location : Commerce, CA
Job Type : Temp/Contract
Reference Code : Employee Health Bilingual
Job Industry : Healthcare - Health Services
Job Description :
The Medical Assistant (MA)/Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) will assist in the provision of direct patient care by performing routine patient care procedures and technical/clerical support services in the clinical setting. The MA/LVN will perform this role by building relationships with patients, listening to them and gaining their trust. The MA will also demonstrate compassion and respect and will be proactive in managing patient’s expectations. In addition, the MA will document all specialties in the Electronic Health Record (EHR).
Medical Assistant (MA) Responsibilities:
- Perform patient intake (i.e. vitals, chief complaints).
- Perform all requested orders (i.e. vaccines, medication administration, labs, CLIA Waive Test, Hearing, Vision, etc.) in order to prepare for provider visit.
- Document intake into EHR (for all specialties).
- Effectively manage assigned patient flow and other team’s patient flow.
- Maintain patient care areas clean and stocked. Includes assisting with supply/med/vaccine inventory/logs.
- Schedule follow-up appointments and “no-shows”.
- Function as a patient advocate by ensuring patient concerns are resolved and/or addressed in a timely manner.
- Coordinates patient care by interfacing with Patient Centered Medical Home and other team members.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) Responsibilities:
- Provides excellent customer service at all times, to internal and external customers.
- Determines specific needs for each clinic and prepares area with appropriate supplies, equipment, etc.
- Interviews patients and/or family, reviews patients charts and progress notes to determine prior visits to the clinic, history, status of follow up on physicians' orders and definition of problems.
- Refers defined patient needs to physician.
- Instructs patients' and/or family as directed by Registered Nurse or Provider.
- Assists physician with procedures and treatments.
- Participates in chart review of patients who failed clinic appointments to determine urgency of follow-up care, contacts social worker when necessary and reviews with clinic staff the plan for follow-up appointments.
- Document intake into EHR (for all specialties) and function as a system superuser for Company's EHR. Follow-up on in-basket message and management tasks.
- Maintains adequate levels of medication, supplies, and teaching aids for optimal patient care.
- Assists in orientation of new personnel.
- Participates in staff meetings and ongoing clinic nursing reviews.
- Provides nursing staff coverage in clinics as assigned.
- Assists any and all internal or external consumers with any problems they may have in a pleasant and cooperative manner.
- Responsible for collecting data from "walk-in" or "phone-in" patients and follows provider orders as directed.
- Performs, observes, and records symptoms, and interactions of the patient and reports findings to the medical provider. Does not make independent medical or healthcare decisions.
- Assists medical providers and/or carries out medical provider's orders by performing requested tests.
- Assist with referrals as needed.
- Responsible for assisting with the completion of all calibration of medical equipment and ensuring logs are up to date.
- Responsible for maintaining current knowledge of all back office policies and procedure, as directed.
- Handles client health information as trained by Compliance Training.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications :
Medical Assistant (MA) Education and Experience:
- Medical Assistant certificate along with a high school diploma or equivalent required.
- CPR/First Aid certificate required.
- Some medical assisting experience strongly preferred.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish/Mandarin/Cantonese strongly preferred.
Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) Education and Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited LVN school.
- Current LVN license issued by the State of California Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians.
- Must maintain current CPR/First Aid training.
- Experience and knowledge regarding the physical, mental and social needs of the patients
- Spanish Speaking Preferred but not required .
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to resolve basic customer service issues and/or escalate to supervisor as needed.
- Ability to read, write and speak in a clear and professional manner; includes active listening skills and understanding medical terminology.
- Ability to complete basic math computations and medical math conversions.
- Proficient in beginning/intermediate computer skills and Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse population/cultural differences.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Excellent follow through skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to change.
- Demonstrates patience and caring interest in patient’s needs.
- Knowledge of practice management guidelines (e.g., DHS, OSHA, CHDP, PPP, HWLA).
- Knowledge of HIPAA Guidelines including the Protected Health Information (PHI) privacy requirements.