Bridging the gap between your dreams and your current healthcare position.
Medical Laboratory Technician
Location : South San Diego, CA
Job Type : Temp/Contract
Reference Code : 983
Job Industry : Healthcare - Health Services
Job Description :
The Medical Laboratory Technician under general supervision and medical supervision performs waived and moderately complex laboratory test defined by CLIA Regulations. Performs clinical laboratory test procedure in a manner that provides timely and accurate meaningful results in Hematology, Urinalysis and Chemistry and coagulation test. Knowledge of Quality control, Instrument calibration and preventative periodic maintenance of Instrument. Effective and clear communication with medical staff clients and patients.
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Perform Proficiency testing and monitor quality control functions for waived and moderately complex tests and test that do not require microscopic analysis such as CBC differential count except for UA microscopic examination.
- Demonstrate the required competency with instrument operation, and able to troubleshoot and follow through with service repair technician to ensure instrument is functioning in a timely manner.
- Receives, collects as well as process samples, verification of patient information, billing order, specimen amount and storage requirements.
- Accurately enters patients testing data and documents corrections appropriately to meet established turnaround time.
- Maintain equipment in proper working order by performing the periodic maintenance as scheduled and maintain clean work area.
- Performs ordering, labeling maintaining inventory supply and putting away supplies to their proper storage temperature.
- Perform archiving, filing QC data, patient logs, instrument maintenance records, temperature, specimen rejection and instrument troubleshooting.
- Check pending list order at the end of each shift and notify nursing or providers for specimen submitted without test order.
- Respond to unacceptable results and takes appropriate action necessary to resolve discrepancies or problems with specimens and
- or refer problem to CLS or immediate supervisor.
- Adheres to laboratory safety standards including personal protective equipment.
- Answers phone calls for offices calling for results.
- Maintain an organized and clean work environment.
Required Qualifications :
Education Required (Minimum level of education):
- At least HS graduate or finished the GED
- Current CPR certificate
- MLT California State License
Experience Required (Minimum level of experience):
- Experienced as MLT for at least 6 months to 1 year for various laboratory instrument as ISTAT, Piccolo, Chemistry Analyzer, Coulter
- or any CBC instruments, Urinalysis instrument as Clinitek or Seimens
- Urine analyzer, Coagu-Check instrument.