Patient Registration Representative
Enables patients to secure access to care at Company facilities by performing all tasks related to registration and pre-registration of outpatient and inpatient accounts. Calculates and secures patient liability, including copayments, coinsurance and deductibles in an efficient, accurate and hospitable manner to ensure that the patient, physician and hospital’s needs are met.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Safeguards and preserves the confidentiality of patient’s protected health information in accordance with State and Federal (HIPAA) regulatory requirements, hospital and departmental policies.
- Ensures a safe patient environment and adherence to safety practices per policy.
- With consideration to age, employee utilizes the approved process to resolve biophysical, psychological, educational and environmental needs of patient/significant other as required.
- Exhibits positive guest relations skills by extending oneself and being hospitable to patients, physicians, coworkers, and visitors at all times.
- Warmly greets these by name and introduces self by name. Uses the phrase, "How can I help you?" as a first line of communication.
- Anticipates concerns and provides an explanation of the interview process.
- Utilizes translators if available or new translating system Stratus as necessary to ensure patient fully understands the information being discussed with them.
- Displays a teamwork approach, considering the impact of his/her decisions, actions and behaviors on others.
- Works with our eligibility vendor to create a positive working relationship that will provide a smooth process for the patient.
- Responds to others in a constructive, non-defensive manner.
- Maintains a professional appearance at all times, wearing uniforms or adhering to department dress code requirement, as per policy.
- Answers telephone by the third ring and states, “______ department, this is ______, and how can I help you?”
- Expresses ideas clearly, actively listens and always follows appropriate channels of communication.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times.
- Full disclosure is provided to patient when starting the interview and screening process for Hospital Presumptive Eligibility and/or Uncompensated application so they understand the process.
Organizational skills and Efficiency:
- Able to solve problems without compromising the patient’s needs.
- Sets priorities, integrates changes and organizes work activities in a logical and timely manner. Demonstrates a consistent level of performance and productivity.
- Files orders in the correct files and places files in the appropriate file and scan accordingly. Follows all procedures in department as instructed by management.
- Uses time wisely to pre-register all scheduled patients, as per policy.
- Prepares necessary paperwork, orders, labels, and forms for signature to expedite the registration process upon the patient’s arrival.
- Makes good use of time, seeks out work that needs to be done (ex. pre-registration), reports free time to supervisor.
- Responsible for completing all assigned procedures during shift without sacrificing the quality of work.
- Limits personal phone calls to breaks and lunches: away from the work area.
SPECIFIC SKILLS NEEDED
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills to communicate effectively with staff, patients, guarantors, insurance companies, and physicians.
- Demonstrated attention to detail; Good English speaking, spelling, reading and Mathematical skills required
- Demonstrate ability to learn quickly, and follow directions as outlined in policies or given by Supervisor
- Strong Computer skills and Knowledge in Word, Excel and ability to maneuver through multiple screens in a timely manner
- 1+ year of medical office /hospital/medical billing work experience preferred
- Medical terminology knowledge strongly preferred
- Insurance knowledge required
- Ability to multi-task in a fast and high pressured environment
- Stringent adherence to all HIPAA laws
- Strong typing skills 45 and up wpm is required
- Strong analytical skills, problem solving. The ability to act and decide accordingly.
- Excellent Customer service and phone skills with a background in the medical industry
- Ability to travel to off-site locations (Outpatient only)
- One year experience in a high volume healthcare facility or medical office setting with strong computer and customer service experience required
- High school graduate required or equivalent, evidence of continuing education preferred.
- Medical terminology strongly preferred
- Insurance and billing experience strongly required
- Drivers License; ability to travel to off-site locations (Outpatient only)
- Bilingual Spanish or Chinese (Mandarin) preferred