Location : Atascadero, CA
Job Type : Temp/Contract
Reference Code : PT Atascadero
Required Years of Experience : 1 year
Required Education : High School or Equivalent
Job Description :
As a Phlebotomist, you will be responsible for performing venipuncture to obtain blood samples from patients, collecting various specimens from patients, and labeling blood vials that you have obtained. You will also be responsible for preparing specimens to be brought to one of our laboratories for medical testing. A successful Phlebotomist will be detail-oriented, able to work in a fast-paced environment, and have the capability to multitask frequently and efficiently.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensure Patient Service Center (PSC) remains in compliance with Company Policy and with Federal, State, CAP, HIPAA and CLIA regulations.
- Welcome and greet patients, obtain and verify patient information, input patient information into laboratory information system, provide patients with explanation of billing process, and collect payments for services through a variety of methods.
- Assemble equipment such as tourniquets, needles, and disposable containers for needles, blood collection devices, gauze, cotton, and alcohol on work tray according to requirements for specified tests or procedures.
- Utilize personal protective equipment (PPE) and follow all safety and standard protection guidelines.
- Perform venipuncture on patients with an evacuated or butterfly method. Dermal puncture techniques may be used, as necessary.
- Withdraw needle, apply treatment to puncture site, label specimen, and perform initial stages of specimen processing. Must accession patient specimens accurately and log with appropriate documentation. Organize and prepare specimens for courier pickup.
- May be required to perform courier runs to outside draw stations, clients, or other locations, as necessary.
- Responsible for ordering and replenishing Patient Service Center (PSC) supplies.
- Must adhere to department’s dress code, grooming and personal hygiene requirements.
- Must maintain an organized and professional working environment at designated work location.
- Dispose of contaminated sharps in accordance with applicable federal and state laws, standards, and policies.
- Organize and clean blood-drawing carts to ensure that all instruments and collection materials remain sterile.
- Dispose of all biohazardous waste in accordance with applicable Federal and State laws along with Company Policies and Procedures.
- Perform specimen collections at specific time intervals for patients participating in fasting or monitoring their therapeutic drug levels.
- Provide sample analysis results to physicians to assist with diagnosis, as necessary.
- Provide patients with explanations of phlebotomy procedures when requested.
- Ensure high-risk patients are provided with pre- and post-venipuncture care, including but not limited to, taking additional precautions when a patient has a history of fainting.
- Participate in and support all Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement endeavors for the laboratory, as applicable.
- In addition to typical work schedule, may be scheduled to work weekends, provide coverage to other sites, work split shifts, overtime, holidays, and attend mandatory phlebotomy meetings, as necessary.
- Other duties may apply, as necessary.
Required Qualifications :
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Be customer service oriented, possess strong interpersonal skills, and maintain a positive and friendly attitude when interacting with patients, clients, and other departments.
- Possess the ability to read, write, and speak English language. Must have legible handwriting.
- Be proficient at data entry and be detail-oriented.
- Understand administrative and clerical processes and systems such as word processing software and electronic files and records.
- Have the ability to use active listening and self-monitoring while interacting with patients and clients.
- Demonstrate a high degree of autonomy and possess exceptional time management skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to maintain cultural competence while interacting with patients from various demographics.
Required Education and Experience:
- Have a completed high school diploma or equivalent.
- Have a minimum of one year’s experience in a Patient Service Center.
- Hold a valid State of California CPT I Certificate. Continuing education as dictated by governmental agencies required for certification validity.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Have successfully completed an accredited Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) program with all externship hours fulfilled.
- Have experience as Medical Laboratory Assistant.
- Be trained on Basic Life Support (BLS) / Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
- Possess Bilingual/Multilingual language speaking skills.